Wednesday, November 4, 2009

An Anniversary




October 30th was a day of reflection and thanks for me as I "celebrated" the one year anniversary of the original lung cancer diagnosis. In some ways it is hard to believe a year has passed already and, in other ways, the year has gone so quickly that I can't believe it really is one year. And you all know what a year it has been, the ups and downs of all the tests and diagnoses, beginning chemo and radiation treatment, the pulmonary embolism scare and everything in between. I've spent many of the last days really reflecting on this cancer journey and it still comes back to what I've said from the very start......God has a purpose and a plan for me, He is beside me every step of the way and though I don't have a clear idea or understanding as to why we're on this journey, I am so grateful for all the blessings along the way. It would take pages to tell you all about all the wonderful people and blessings that have come my way in this past year.....just recently I received cards and packages from my "chemoangels" - an organization I have never heard of that lends encouragement and support to cancer patients. These women are as far away as Oklahoma and Virginia and I really don't know how they found me (they're keeping that a secret, I guess) but it has been wonderful.

I guess I am now a veteran of sorts in this cancer battle. Last week when I went for chemo, there was a woman about my age and her husband sitting in the lobby. I checked in and sat, waiting for the nurse to call me back. The woman asked in a hesitant voice how long I had been having chemo so I shared a bit of my story with her. Turns out this was her first chemo treatment and she was quite apprehensive about the whole thing. Everyone has a different experience and I'm hopeful hers will be as easy as mine has been, in terms of side effects, and I was so glad to be able to talk with her and her husband and offer some positive information. I remember as clear as day the first time I went for chemo and radiation - the unknown can be pretty darn scary.

Some of my best medicine is, and continues to be, teaching and all my wonderful kiddos. My desk is littered with candy they've brought me from their Halloween stash (guess my repeated hints about loving all that Halloween stuff paid off :) and last Friday when they wore costumes to school was just too darn cute. It was a fun day.....my costume was as corny as they all have been in years past. If you look closely at the picture, you may be able to tell I have coins (quarters) glued to my shirt, am holding a hammer and a block of cheese. Wait for it, wait for it......I was a "quarter pounder with cheese".

The next CT scan is scheduled for Monday, November 9th, in the morning and I see Dr. Karamlou on Weds., the 11th, for results. This will determine whether I stay on the current chemo protocol or if we have to pull another bunny out of the hat. I am praying hard for good results and I know you are too. Thank you. Oh, and another huge praise - I no longer have to be on oxygen! I've been off the "leash" for almost three weeks now and am doing just fine. God has been so good and kept me so protected.

Fall here in Portland has been absolutely spectacular and the trees truly must rival the east coast for color and variety. Even though raking all the leaves isn't that much fun, I have really enjoyed the fall season and am looking forward to the holidays. I feel like I'll blink and it will be Thanksgiving already.

Time to go and watch the Phillies-Yankees game and root for those Phillies. I love the World Series but am always a bit let down when it is over because then I have to wait until February for spring training. And I plan to be around for that!

Love and hugs and deep heartfelt thanks to all of you,
Susan

1 comment:

Olive Tree said...

Hi, it's a very great blog.
I could tell how much efforts you've taken on it.
Keep doing!