Saturday, April 11, 2009

Happy Easter
















It's a quiet Saturday morning and I'm enjoying the peacefulness of the moment, feeling rested and well and so thankful for that. It's Easter weekend, my favorite holiday, because of the amazing gift I've been given when Christ went to the cross. He is risen!

No coffee this morning though, as it still doesn't taste good to me and the chocolate bunnies and eggs are safe from my clutches too. It was suggested that my body could be rejecting the caffeine and that's entirely possible. Never dreamed there would be a day my two favorite food groups (coffee and chocolate) would no longer appeal!

I am feeling really good and that's such a gift. I've had two chemo treatments with the Gemzar, once a week on Thursdays, with no problems. The first time back in the oncology center was depressingly familiar and the nurses, though absolutely wonderful to be with, were sad that I had to be back for more chemo. Thankfully, the Gemzar treatments have gone well and IV access easy (praises for that!).

The other chemo agent, Tarceva, is a pill I take daily and this is to continue work on the lung tumor. Dr. Karamlou told me there would be a side effect to this one - a nasty, painful rash all over my face - but this is a good sign, means the chemo is working in my body. Well, you know me, nothing is done halfway, and when he said a rash all over my face, I met every expectation there! About four days after I started taking it....kapow! It looks like a combination of rosacea and very bad acne, but the worst part is that it hurts a lot and itches like crazy at the same time. I have a topical ointment that helps a little bit, I just have to keep reminding myself that this is a good thing, the chemo is working. My kiddos are so sweet - when I told them why I had such a bad rash on my face, that the chemo was doing it's job, one group cheered and said they were so happy it was helping. Almost made me cry...they are so good at taking things in stride and accepting of circumstances. I learn from them every day!

I meet with Dr, Karamlou again on the 16th and should have information then as to when we're going to scan the lung for a final update on results of the Cisplatin and radiation. The initial scan (PET scan) had shown a roughly 70% reduction and I'm optimistic there has been even more improvement there. Also, I want to know how often we scan the pancreas to check progress with the Gemzar.

The best thing for me is being back to work. I finished my second week of being back on a part time basis and it has been the best medicine ever. The days are busy, the kiddos are so much fun and I come home tired, but a good, used my brain, happy kind of tired. I was concerned about my energy level, but no problems there. I feel energized in such a positive way when I'm teaching and at school and am so glad I made the decision to go back when I did.

Many people have been asking me about future plans, do I want to travel, do other things, etc. and sure, there are things I plan to do, but I also intend to be fully healed and have plenty of time to fulfill those dreams. The one thing that has remained constant for me is I am so grateful to be doing what I love so much. Teaching is my passion and I've had nine wonderful years of it. My response to those who ask me is to follow your own heart, do the thing you are passionate about whatever that might be because it is never work when you love what you do. Don't wait to pursue what you love the most - trust God to direct you because if you are doing what He has created you for, it is the most joyful, rewarding experience you can have.

And speaking of wonderful experiences, spring is sneaking in here in the northwest and we've had a taste of some warm, sunny days. Last Sunday was the trifecta - warm, sunny afternoon (I could even wear shorts!), planting flowers in my garden and listening to the opening day game for MLB! Perfect! The daffodils are blooming like crazy and everything is so green and beautiful.

Better than that, though, was being with my family, watching my beloved Giants play in their home park on Weds. night. I flew down to SF to not only see the game, but be there when Dad presented the Cy Young award to Tim Lincecum (the SF pitcher who won it in 2008). Quite a passing of the torch as Dad was the only other Giants pitcher to have won the Cy Young. It was great to be there at the game, enjoying the time with my family and eating a ball park hot dog! Coffee and chocolate might be gone, but fat, grease and salt are still just fine :)

I am so blessed to be feeling good, have energy and still be doing all the things I enjoy most. Each day brings something new and there are days that are not always easy - dealing with this rash hasn't been a whole lot of fun. I approach my days from the viewpoint that I am already healed and we're just waiting for the medical treatments to do their job - summer plans are being made and I'm already looking toward next year's school schedule and preparing for that. I'm even going to teach a few sessions of Driver's Ed. this summer, have to keep the adrenaline pumping :)

The outpouring of love and support continues to amaze and humble me. Thank you. It doesn't adequately express how deeply moved I am by the love and care I am receiving, but there are no easy words for that. Thank you, and love to you all.

Susan

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Susan...Heard your scans were not as you had hoped. I can only imagine how that made you feel. It brought me to tears...as I can't imagine what you are going through but am praying that God will give you a quick miracle fix and you will have this as a reminder of how great He is in His healing....I shall not give up....You are such a dear and strong (faithful of course!) gal..We are praying like crazy for your recovery any way it comes.....not picky ! Love..toni