Friday, January 29, 2010

"And for my next Halloween costume"



Well, 2010 certainly had a rocky start and the effects of the radiation and the pneumonia have sure hit hard. My quickest healing was the short stint in the hospital - I came home Sunday, January 10th and it's been a slow go from there. The hospital staff is absolutely wonderful but I would rather be home! I finished the two weeks of radiation on Jan. 15th and will see Dr. Kee and Dr. Chen (radiation oncologist and neurosurgeon) at the end of February to review the neck scans and x-rays. Both seemed happy with the preliminary results of the treatment but radiation continues to work for several days/weeks afterward and I'm hopeful the two weeks worth of treatment zapped this little tumor for good.

There is some chronic pain/numbness associated with the tumor - even it it's zapped, the bone and surrounding soft tissue have been compromised and I will always have some residual discomfort, though, thankfully, nowhere near as painful or frequent as what I experienced at the start. Praise for that!

The picture of me in the mask is how I was positioned for radiation each day. My head and upper body had to be completely immobile so the flex mask (literally molded to my face and upper body) would be put in place each time and then tacked down to a body board underneath me. The mask fit like a second skin - I could open my eyes and blink, breathe through my nose and swallow carefully. Definitely not for the claustrophobic and I'm grateful that, once the mask was in place and all coordinates verified, the actual process went quickly. A wonderful staff, very caring and concerned, and I am so glad to have them. Very glad this was only two weeks and not six weeks like the lung radiation!

The time at home has been slow healing. Between the soreness and inflammation in my throat from radiation (thus back on liquids only for several days) and the extreme fatigue from both the radiation and pneumonia, it has been a tough couple of weeks. I completely lost my voice for several days so my apologies for not returning all phone calls just yet. My voice is back but it's squeaky and doesn't always last all day. A very large portion of my time has been spent just sleeping (always the best medicine for me!) and I am on oxygen again, off and on as I feel is needed. My sister, Stacy, came out from CT on the 15th and stayed with me for a week, taking very good care of her big sis. Truly, she and my mom were lifesavers taking care of every little thing even when I would stubbornly insist I could do simple tasks.

That stubbornness didn't last long and I was so grateful to have Stacy here to help, plus just hang out with me. She went home yesterday morning and I sure do miss her. So does Corbett - she keeps going into the guest room expecting to find Stacy and then comes to me with a bewildered expression. Corbett has been quite the trooper too, she sits like a sentinel next to the bed when I am napping and doesn't leave my side much. Gotta love that dog!

I've been off work for 2 1/2 weeks and am going to attempt part time (half days) this week. I'm hopeful to have the energy to return but am realistic about healing too and will take it day by day. The other picture is our school Geography Bee, held last Weds. (Jan. 20th) in my classroom. I proctor it every year and was so glad I could do so again this year. It's an all school competition and the school winner has a chance to compete in the State GEO Bee in April - wish us luck!

I start a new chemotherapy protocol this week on the 28th to go after the liver tumors again. This one is an IV treatment given every three weeks and no infusion pump this time. We're still praying for the miracle.....

Sending all of you lots of love and hugs and heartfelt thanks for the cards and calls and prayers and support. My community is my medicine and I love you all for the dear people you are to me. Enjoy every day for the gift that it is!

Love,

Susan

No comments: