Sunday, February 28, 2010

"Go be Mighty Sue"

There was an expression Sue would always say to me (after we had talked through the days challenges or thanked God for his blessings). The phrase would always end with "Go be mighty Matt" and it gave me the assurance to move forward and use my gifts to the best of my abilities. It also built my confidence that I could accomplish anything I set my sights to and this phrase also provided comfort in that I had the confidence from someone I held so high in life's status. It is no different than a coach inspiring his/her players to reach beyond their capabilities. Isn't it amazing what four simple words can do for someone.

The past 4 days, Sue has been in the ICU & CCU. The surgery on Wednesday did not go as planned. The doctors opened her up to find the cancer was worse than expected and is now moving fast. They were unable to fully reach the right lung and decided to close her back up and discuss next steps with family. Everyone flew in to Portland and decided to follow the exact instructions Sue had communicated many times based on this possible scenario. The doctors are keeping her pain free and the family has been at her side all week.

I cannot describe in words, how special this time is with Susan even though everyone in the room would do ANYTHING to extract the cancer from her body. There was a special moment last night when my mother Carolynn was holding Sue's left hand and I was holding her right hand. We both realized (as we watched Sue sleep like a baby), that Sue's work is done here on earth. What she has accomplished in her 52 years is more than anyone I know. The amount of memories generated by one person is "mind blowing".

We will continue to keep you posted on her status, but as of Sunday morning, she is resting and taking slow steps towards heaven.

"Go be mighty Sue"

Love,
Matt

9 comments:

Alayna said...

As a former student of Ms. McCormick's, I know what joy she brought to the classroom. And I hope that she can take that joy to brighten the lives of those beyond this earth. As much as it pains me to read this news (as I have been following her story since the blog started), I know that Ms. McCormick's fight has been blessed and full of love. My prayers are with her and you, her family. Whether she knows it or not, I am sending my love and sincere gratitude for all she taught me.

joyce Dougherty said...

Matt, you are such a beautiful writer. Your love of Sue and family are a real pleasure to read. I have tears in my eyes as I write this. I never had the privilege of knowing Sue, but feel I do now through your eyes. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and may I add "Go Be Mighty Sue!"
Love,
Joyce Dougherty

Unknown said...

Dear Matt and family, my heart is broken for you all, yet i love Susan's faith in the Lord. I feel so badly - please give my precious friend Carolyn a special hug from me an I pray for you all the peace of God - His everlasting peace.
Much love, Lois R

I Love My Shape! said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhh Matt,
Beautiful post to tell us very difficult news. I'm Annie's God sister, so have seen and expereienced Susan's wonderful hugs many times over the years. Her hugs and smiles have made this earth a better place. My prayers and thoughts are with Susan, you, your family and Annie as Susan completes her earthly journey. May you continue to find peace through the gorgeous way she lived life.

Unknown said...

Please tell Sue how much I am thinking of her and wish so much that I could see her. I know that its hard to have visitors right now. I miss her so much. Sue and I went to west valley for many years together. Sue and Carolyn are two of my very favorite people. My heart is aching at what surely seems to be the outcome. Please give her a big hug from me and tell her she is in my prayers as you all are.

Unknown said...

I told my mom yesterday to remember all the things she loves about Sue, all the things she did to change her life. 'Go Be Mighty' distills what many people feel about Sue. The phrase brings her to life in the mind. Her beauty and might will now shine through everyone she touched. And, thanks to your words, we now have a way to express that sparkle.

Unknown said...

cheeseheadHi,it's Avonlea Raschdorf from fowler i hope you know we are praying for you at school. We all hope you have a good end to you last days and weeks here.We will alway have you in are hearts. We are having fun at school. But it is just not the same. You were are apart of are day but now there is a emptyness in are heart. The halls are still filled with laughter but most of the 6th graders are pretty sad but we all love you. We hope you have a wounderful time in heaven with are lord Jesus. We what for your last steps to heaven,but there is always hope. Never give up,Never back down. We love you.

Your student,
Avonlea Raschdorf

Jennifer said...

Susan has taught both my children Austin and Summer at Fowler. I could never express in words how appreciative I am as a parent to know that she was their mentor. She is a prime example of a teacher,she has a loving heart and without question she taught for the love of the children. Please tell her she will be dearly missed, and my children are holding her close to their hearts. Thank you again for all that you have taught my children, we are truly blessed to have had you in our lives.

- FootSteps in the Sand -
One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there were one set of footprints.

This bothered me because I noticed
that during the low periods of my life,
when I was suffering from
anguish, sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints.

So I said to the Lord,
"You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during
the most trying periods of my life
there have only been one
set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most,
you have not been there for me?"

The Lord replied,
"The times when you have
seen only one set of footprints in the sand,
is when I carried you."

May Susan carry on her love to the Heavens to carry on with the Lords work.

Unknown said...

Good Day.. what beautiful words that you have written Matt.. I am sorry to hear about Susan. I just recently found out about her cancer. I worked with Susan many years ago at First Interstate. We had some wonderful times together. My thoughts and prayers to you all.
"Live simply, Love generously, Serve faithfully, Speak truthfully, Pray daily, Leave everything else to God."
Godspeed my dear friend.. Corie Moore