Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Battle Begins!

Hello dear ones,

Wow, this week flew by! It ended on a really great note - we took the kiddos on a field trip today to see the film "City of Ember". It's based on a book we read as a class novel and it was a fun day. Popcorn, pizza, 317 6th graders on buses....you can imagine :-) I'm really going to miss them.

Met with Dr. Karamlou yesterday and the dates are set to begin chemo and radiation. I start the chemotherapy on Friday, January 16th and radiation on Monday, the 19th. They're hitting me with both barrels as the top priority is to shrink and fry the tumor and lymph nodes in the lung and chest. I'll be on a combination of Cisplatin and Etoposide with a side order of radiation. After the chemo cocktail/radiation does it's job, then surgery to remove the (significantly reduced in size) tumor in the lung and pancreas can be considered. The chemo is a 56 day protocol and given via IV - I don't have chemo every day, there is a specific calendar for the different treatments. Radiation, however; is every day.

Next week (on Monday) I meet the radiation doctor (Dr. Kee) and the preliminary scans, etc. are done to identify the exact spots where they'll radiate. I don't know exactly how the process works, but sure will after Monday. Dr. Morris will do the surgery to put in the chemo port (under the skin near my collarbone) on Weds. morning - this way they won't have to try to find a vein every time I have chemo. Between the chemo port and radiation tattoo spots, low necked shirts and dresses are out for awhile, but at least it's winter and cold so not a worry :-)

My concern in focusing on the lung and lymph nodes, though I clearly understand why it is so critical to attack them first, was nothing being done for the pancreas. Dr. Karamlou said the Cisplatin will attack the cancer in the pancreas as well and that made me feel a little better.

My last day of teaching is Thursday, January 15th. There's no way to know how I'll react to the chemo and radiation and Dr. Karamlou didn't sugar coat anything when discussing the possible side effects. None of them sound at all fun. Although I intend to feel just fine with few side effects, it's best to give myself time to rest and heal and be well. I'm really going to miss the kids and my goal is to be back after spring break at the end of March. Not much to be done about the hair though - I think it's pretty much a given that's going to go. Somewhere in the 2-3 week range after treatment begins is what I'm told. The Marge Simpson blue beehive is definitely one of the wigs of choice - the rest of the headgear will likely be my SF Giants ballcaps and scarves.

How will we know if the chemo-rads are working? At the end of whole treatment, CT scans are done to measure the tumor(s). Blood tests are done weekly to be sure the white blood cell count doesn't get too low. It's all about numbers and measurements now. I knew I should have paid more attention in math class :) One piece of good news - I gained 2 lbs. this week. How is that good, you ask? One sign of advanced cancer is a rapid and unintentional weight loss, especially with pancreatic cancer. Not only am I still feeling good, I can gain weight and that is a good thing. Always a blessing somewhere, right?

The bumpy road begins......I can't say I'm looking forward to this part of the journey, but I am looking forward to coming through it as a cancer survivor. I still feel, and have always felt, I am in the center of God's palm and He is with me every step of the way. I am thankful for the peace He gives me and the many, many blessings I receive every day. The Lord is my light and salvation, whom shall I fear? (Psalms 27:1) He is the God of hope and each day is a good one.

Have a great weekend, I plan to!

Love and hugs,

Susan/Sis

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Susan,

At breakfast on Wednesday, you didn't know the dates for the beginning of chemo, so now you/we do: the 16th. You have shown great courage dealing with unknowns. My today prayer for you had to do with courage when the unknown (how gross or glorious the treatment response will be) becomes the known! I have every confidence that you will be fabo at that as well.

I remember once finding out that going through not having a job (for Scott) was a lot easier than being afraid of someday Scott might not have a job. Sometime living through it isn't as bad as the anticipation.

On the plus side, I think you have a lovely shaped head and I can't wait to get a really good look at it! Since hair often comes back curly when it was straight, do you think yours will be straight? Now, that would be novel.

I have my grace-wand pointed straight at you and it is showering you with unexpected blessings during the treatment process. I know you will be certain to recognize each one. You have been very observant of the small wonders so far.

You're my hero. Go get 'em. Melissa

Lauren Kelley said...

I have been thinking of today, hoping yesterday went well.