Saturday, January 31, 2009

Climbing the Mountain!..

Hello dear ones,

As I write this, on a foggy and chilly Portland Saturday morning, I'm savoring my cup of morning coffee and blowing my overlong hair out of my eyes. What makes me mention these things, you might wonder? Well, if you know me, you also know my mind doesn't always follow the most linear route, but there is a point to my ramblings :) In this case, I'm glad that my coffee tastes good to me this morning and I may actually have to get a hair cut after all.

Another week of treatments and, for the most part, I still feel really good with no significant side effects. This week I did find my food tastes changing and things that appealed before, no longer sound good. Coffee has been one of those "on again/off again" things. One morning it smells great and tastes good, but the next day it has no appeal. No surprise as this is one of the side effects of treatment and an area that can be a concern, because that's when people will stop eating and lose too much weight. For all the things that don't sound good, there are still lots that do and my weight hasn't fluctuated enough to raise any alarms.

As for the haircut, I canceled my scheduled appointment two weeks ago because I figured it would have started to fall out by now and why pay good money only to have it end up on the bathroom floor, right? Well, my curly mop is still firmly attached to my head and is long enough I feel somewhat akin to a dandelion so am considering a haircut after all. Dr. Karamlou and all the nurses have said that many don't lose their hair in the first round of Cisplatin, but do in the second round. I start chemo again on February 13th (Cisplatin and Etoposide). So now you understand the comment about the overlong hair :)

Had my weekly blood work on Thursday and Dr. Karamlou was very ok with the results - my blood counts are low. I was surprised that this is actually good news because I'd previously understood that to mean it could defer treatment or put me in isolation, but he explained the count isn't too low (though that can happen). Instead, it is an indication that the chemo is working in/on my body. He said that my numbers are just where they should be for this stage of treatment. I learn something new every day. He also told me to enjoy feeling good as I'm going to start feeling lousy in about two weeks and it won't be much better after that, and the last two weeks of this protocol are going to be really rough (his words). Doesn't sound like much fun, but I was reminded again of one of my favorite verses, Phil. 4:13 - " I can do anything through Him who gives me strength". I'm ready to climb this chemo-rads mountain if it's what's needed to heal me.

I had the opportunity to go to another mountain, Mt. Hood, yesterday and (with Dr. Karamlou's ok) spent the day there with a dear friend. It was probably one of the most beautiful winter days I've ever had on the mountain - crystal clear blue skies, very light wind and warm enough I didn't need many layers. It was so clear we could see Mt. Jefferson, 3 Fingered Jack and Mt. Bachelor etched in the horizon. Truly a gorgeous day. It was difficult to breathe after any exertion so I had to move quite slowly and that was a painful (emotionally, not literally) reminder of the cancer in my lung, but I didn't let it get in the way of enjoying a wonderful day on the mountain. It put a healthy pink in my cheeks and a huge smile on my face and I loved the day for the gift it was.

Another gift this week was time with my students.....I was able to go to the 6th grade band concert on Tuesday night and it was wonderful to see them perform. They sounded great! I went to Fowler on Thursday to meet with my teaching team and help plan a social studies unit for February with my sub, Linda, and saw all the kids then. Truly, they are the absolutely best medicine for me and I loved being there. Dr. Karamlou gave me the ok to work a few half days if I feel up to it and I'm considering that for a few mornings next week. As he told me, do it now while I feel good. I've put this to the Lord for direction so we'll see.

Friends and family continue to shower me with love, comfort, prayers, support and encouragement and I am blessed beyond comprehension. I am more deeply touched and encouraged than I can adequately express. For me, a person who is rarely at a loss for words, that says a lot. "Thank you" just doesn't seem to cover it.

Love and hugs to all of you,

Susan

No comments: