Sunday, January 25, 2009

First eight day cycle complete. All blessings so far!

Hi everyone,
Sue has an update through today that is very upbeat (no surprises). I would like to let you know that we plan to start a "Sunday with Susan" where friends and family can send me an e-mail about how Sue inspires you, or how her experience has changed the way you view certain things or just a simple personal note to Sue you would like her to see on the blog. Please e-mail me anytime knowing that it will be published on the first Sunday following your e-mail. This will allow Sue to read, see and feel the support scripted from her friends and family.
My e-mail address: mmccormick@peets.com

Sue's update:

It is with a deeply grateful heart that I can say, after a full week of chemo and radiation, that I still feel good. No significant weight loss, all blood count and enzyme reports are in the normal range, my hair is still firmly attached to my head and no nausea or other complications. Praises all!

The first eight day cycle of chemo is done now and I don't begin (chemo) again for another 20 days. Time for the Cisplatin and Etoposide to do their work, melting away the tumors! Radiation is daily, M-Fr., for the entire 56 day cycle so I'll start again tomorrow. It's funny how quickly things can become a routine. Just two weeks ago, all of this chemo-radiation stuff was planned but hadn't begun yet and was a little overwhelming, just from an unknown entity standpoint. Now, the places I go and people there are familiar and part of my daily fabric. Friends have come to sit with me while I'm getting the chemo infusions and I've really enjoyed the time with them. There has also been time to sit and reflect upon the day and the blessings God continues to give me and I love that time alone with Him too.

My best "medicine" this week was attending the all school musical on Thursday evening. Dr. Karamlou gave me permission to go as my blood count was just fine and I was so excited to see the kiddos in their play "Seussical". Many of the kiddos I've taught over the last three years were in the production and it was just so darn fun to see them perform. The hugs and greetings afterwards truly were medicine for my soul - I'm glad to be home to have time to heal, but sure am looking forward to being back to work as soon as reasonably possible.

Snowed again last night and it's melted now, but sure is cold out there tonight. I know my friends and family in the midwest and east coast are rolling their eyes at "cold" here in Portland, but....brrrrrr! I'm ready for a heatwave - maybe we'll actually get up to 50 degrees this week. :-) Spring is coming soon though, no matter the weather. Pitchers and catchers report for early camp in spring training in just a short time and before I know it, there will be preseason games to listen to. Yes!! Randy Johnson signing with the Giants for a year....could be an interesting development. Feel free to weigh in with your opinion on that one. Like I said, it's my year for the Giants to take home a World Series ring (sorry, Barbara, the Royals will have to wait until next year :-)

Take a moment for yourself and savor the blessings of your days. Whether it's family, friends, sunshine, snow, baseball, chocolate, a hike outdoors or a good book indoors, there are so many things that add such sweetness to our days. I'm grateful to enjoy each and every one, and am thankful too for the blessing each of you are to me.

Susan

No comments: