Saturday, February 14, 2009

Sundays with Susan







Six new entries this week to make "Sundays with Susan" extra special. The timing is perfect as Sue has had a difficult week dealing with complications with her port and finding out Corbett (her black lab) has cancer throughout her body. Please pray that she is able to handle all of this at once and continues to fight the cancer battle with passion.






Below are six submissions to Sue this week.
Marjorie Moehrke (friend growing up)
Her best buddy Annie
Bev Farnsworth
Close Friend Martin
Sister Stacy
Uncle Gene and Aunt Barbara Noller
Gene & Barbara:
Hello Sue,
I just wanted you to know how much your Uncle Gene and I love and care about you. As you have been told dozens of times, after spending time with our darling Suzie back in 1957 and 1958, we decided we had to have "one of those sweet babies." It was your big brown eyes that captivated Gene, who up until that time couldn't fathom being a father, and I suspect the big hugs you gave him didn't hurt. We were so happy when we became parents of Jay, Jaime, and Lee, your cousins, who have given us seven of the greatest grandchildren possible.You are in the challenge of your life, and the strength and courage you have shown so far will get you through this. You are not alone, so many are praying for you, and our Lord is there with you each and every moment of the day. He'll never let you down.
Love and kisses from Aunt Barbara and Uncle Gene.

Stacy:
I love my big sister!
Sue, I am blessed. I really mean it. You have always been a touchstone for me, someone I knew I could turn to no matter the circumstance. Very impressive considering we’re just about ten years apart. The age difference has never mattered a bit. Well, maybe during our childhood. You put up with so much from a curious (nosy), inquisitive (annoying) and full of life (dramatic) little sister!

You have always been my “cool older sister”. It was you who opened my eyes to interesting sights in that zippy orange Capri of yours. You opened my ears to different, cutting-edge music that I then shared with my buddies (Beatles, The Monkees, Peter Frampton, all of the Motown 45’s). You even enlightened me to the strange but fascinating world of teenagers! Don’t worry mom, we all turned out okay!

Sue, not only were you “cool” when I was little, you are now the “fun, cool Auntie Sue”. Ryan and Meghan experience your reassurance, love and acceptance just as I always have. I was fortunate to spend time with you in San Diego while in college, and you were there every step of the way as I became engaged, married, moved around a lot, and had Ryan and Meghan. Your students experience this daily. You know how important your influence is, and you take the extra time to really affect those around you.

I watched you from afar as you truly had a rebirth and your life was no longer your own. You made the decision to lead a Christ-centered life, and you’ve never wavered. I think your faith influences those around you so significantly because of how you handle yourself in every situation and in such a quiet way. You handle yourself with such grace and fairness, accepting things for what they are. My gosh, how many of us could truly remain as positive and reflective as you when riding this emotional roller coaster?! Every day you sprinkle that special positive fairy dust of yours Sue in the different situations you find yourself in.

I know that every day I am reminded of you and most often, I smile or even laugh out loud. I love that sense of mischief we share, that zany McCormick sense of humor. In a toy store recently, I came across that silly monkey toy that you stretch and it goes flying across the room. Do you remember us checking that out together years ago and you wondering what it did…to then have it go flying and freak everyone out? Remember the wind-up tarantula that made everyone in the store leap up and scream? How about the times that something strikes me funny and I can’t stop laughing, however inappropriate. This happened so many times when you had to take over and talk to the sales clerk because I was so immature & couldn’t control myself! However, we both were a bit immature and out of control in the movie theater when we saw “Pee Wee Herman’s Playhouse” in the ‘80’s. We nearly got kicked out!

The silliness continues to this day. You are such a good sport with the whoopee cushions, fake bugs, remote-control tooting machine, etc. We all thought of you yesterday Sue as we came across a children’s show I know you will NEVER forget. You were such a good Auntie to watch the kids when they were little and we were off in Hawaii. Meghan was so obsessed with “The Wiggles” and wouldn’t let you put anything else on. I’ve added the YouTube clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBWQCHb95rg
we came across last night and laughed so hard as we remembered you being tortured with this song over & over!!

I love you so much Sue.
Hope you have a great Sunday with Dad tomorrow!
Stacy

Martin:
Not only did Sue's close friend Martin shave his head in support, but Sue shows up Sunday for church and finds many others with shaved heads. All of you up there are amazing and the support you've shown my sister is beyond expectations. Thank you from the bottom of my heart and every other McCormick.
Picture of the fabulous six from left to right: Monte, Pat, Susan, Christian, Martin, Shane (Note: Ben was not present in the photo).

Marjorie:
My thoughts are always with you. As I help run my local American Cancer Society’s Relay For Life in my community, I think of you and hope you are staying strong. I am dedicating my time with Relay this year to you and your journey. As you know, Cancer never sleeps, so we won’t either June 27 and 28 in Almaden, California.

When I saw your pictures of your bald head and your comments of shining your head, I just laughed. I think I would also keep my sense of humor in the face of tough times as well.
All of Cyndy’s family read your blog to hear about how you are doing. It’s brutally honest and I love that. I just hope that Cyndy can come see you soon. With her schedule, it’s tough to make the trip. I will encourage her again this weekend when I see her for a show in San Francisco. We are going to see Wicked, The New Musical.

I’ll look forward to seeing many more pictures of you on your blog in your cozy hats and scarves. Enjoy your time with your dad.

Marj Moehrke, Co-Chair Relay For Life of Almaden
www.relayforlife.org/almadenca
Celebrate. Remember. Fight Back!
Join us this year on June 27, 2009
Bev Farnsworth:
Dear Susan:
Tracy has kept me up to date with your progress. I'm so sorry for all that you are going through, but I know you have strong faith in God and He will be with you through every step. Today, in our sermon, the pastor mentioned this verse, that I give to you found in Psalms 91:11-12 "For He shall give HIs angels charge over you, tokeep you in all your ways. In their hands they shall bear you up, lest you dash your foot agains a stone." I hope that gives you comfort.

Bev Farnsworth
Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man.Benjamin Franklin

Annie:
There is hope on the journey. Friday was coined by Susan and I another "suck night Friday". Susan experienced chemo port line complications and had to miss out on her chemo day. As Susan said, "not what I would have chosen, but God is in charge" I am continually inspired by Susan's faith.
I came over that evening to join she and her dad for dinner. Understandably upset by the setback, we continued on with the evening. When the phone rang, I saw the tears on my best friend's cheeks running down. Sad news from the vet regarding Corbett. I struggled inside as I watched my friend cry by this news and by what had happened earlier in the day. I repeatedly said in silence "God, I don't understand".
Then a steady stream of phone calls began from friends and loved ones. While Susan was on the phone, Mike and I started to channel surf on Susan's wonderful new TV. A show came on with beautiful scenery from nature, with music, and bible verses. I watched, still in anguish, when all of a sudden a verse screamed out at me. It was Proverbs 3:5. "Lean not on your own understanding". I immediately memorized the verse, and when I got home, I opened the Bible that Susan gave me and prayed. This verse brought me comfort when I was reminded "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight". I slept all night.
As the evening progressed, God brought us many blessings. He brought us a lovely warm meal that was delivered by Karen. He gave us a time of prayer and reflection. And most of all a time of friendship and laughter. The three of us giggled through a funny movie with Rodney Dangerfield. The best medicine is laughter. I am grateful for continued reminders that God is in charge and am grateful for my best friend Susan.






No comments: