Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sundays with Susan


This section is dedicated to those who would like to write Sue a personal note of encouragement. If you haven't seen the latest update with Sue's new baldness, please scroll down to see what was posted yesterday. Please forward your personal notes to me at mmccormick@peets.com and I will place on the following Sunday. We have two this week. One from the Petterson family and one from moi.


The "Dash" between the dates

Sue,
You have taught me many things growing up being the elder statesman of the 5 McCormick kids, but one thing seems to stand out more than others. It’s the dash (hyphen) between the dates we have here on earth. Something you shared with me a while back was to live each day as a blessing and what we do here on earth is symbolized by the dash between the dates when we leave this earth. (ie: 1964 --------– 2052)

You taught me to live my life to the fullest and to use our God given gifts in a way that serves HIM. I want you to know that from this conversation, and a similar message our Pastor gave after you spoke with me about this, I bought 2 clear jars with marbles that I keep on my dresser as a reminder of the projected years left on earth. How it works is that one jar represents the years accomplished to-date (44) which has 44 clear marbles in it. The other jar has my projected years left on earth (44 marbles) since I project myself to live until I’m 88 yrs. young. J Each birthday I transfer one marble to the accomplished jar which is a great reminder of the time I have left (it goes fast).

What inspires me more than anything, is that at the end of each day, a quick glance at the jars, gives me the motivation to continue to strive towards those things that make differences in peoples lives and continue to serve HIM in every way possible.

You inspire me sis in so many ways and to see you battle this dreaded disease with everything you’ve got and do it with amazing grace and attitude (Quote from your chemo nurse: “you are the perkiest cancer patient that nurse has witnessed in her 20 yrs of employment” is no surprise why so many people look up to you and reference you as a wonderful person. It’s very easy to see why your “kids” or should I say students were so angry when you announced your situation back in October. My first thought: God had made his first mistake, HE had the wrong person. I know you will come through with shining colors and even though this has changed your life and fighting cancer might never go away, it is what you will do with the dash between the dates that makes me so excited to witness.

I always mention to people, you need to meet my sister Sue because she is the salt of the earth and one of those people that will leave you feeling great. She inspires others because she walks the talk and does it all for the right reasons.

Please consider me when you have that “wild hair” and want to serve God in a different way or stretch yourself beyond imagination. I will be there for you the same way you have always been there for me. Continue to be an example to others and know that you inspire me beyond words.

Love you tons,
Matt

Susan,
We saw this quote and thought of you and your fight. Stay strong as steel. "Whatever they tell you, whatever is said, you rest it in God’s arms to sort things out."
Love,
Tracy, Krag, Henry, and Arly

No comments: