Sunday, March 8, 2009

Sundays with Susan
















Spending time with my "sis" is extra special
This past weekend I was able to spend some quality time with Sue and my Mom. I thought I was bringing some wonderful California sunshine with me to Portland on Friday, but alas it was short lived and midday the normal Portland weather returned. I was able to go with Sue to her last radiation treatment, meet the medical team that Sue has bonded with, and come away with the knowledge that if anyone with this much tenacity, hope and beliefs can conquer this dreaded disease, it is Sue.


As much as Sue has been able to deal with the ugly side of cancer, it is sometimes the little things that we can do to help her that brings the most enjoyment. Just being able to fix some things around the house, making sure her computer is functioning properly, and providing emotional support goes a long ways. Unfortunately, this past week has been tough on Sue physically as the radiation has inflamed her throat to the point where swallowing and keeping food down is a challenge at times. Sue was able to digest smoothies, so not all is bad J

Remarkable as Sue has been with coping with this illness, it has been tough on us (all of us) to fully understand why Sue (or any other Christian) would be inflicted with this disease. In my talks with Sue, I questioned that maybe this is God’s way of testing not only her faith, but also testing the faith of those close to her. Maybe this is God’s message through Sue about faith and commitment to him. Maybe one day it will become clear to all of us what the bigger picture is in Sue’s life. Sue is such an inspiration to her close-knit community of church, friends and family, maybe this is Sue’s calling in addition to teaching Jr. High?


Sue, I truly missed being able to get out on the dance floor Saturday night and whoop it up like we used to do in Mt. View (in our much younger days). I think the ol’ back was still good for another round of shake, rattle & roll.

I love you, always

Mike

No comments: